(Punjabi version / ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਵਿੱਚ)
Body autonomy is the right to decide what happens or doesn’t happen to your body. Teaching your children from a young age to develop a sense of body autonomy is a proven way to prevent child sexual abuse (CSA), and also encourages children to disclose abuse should it happen to them. The images below share a few tips on how to talk to your children about body autonomy.
How to Teach Your Child Body Autonomy
- Teach them proper body part names.
- Teach them about safe touch.
- Teach them that they can say no.
- Teach them that abuse is never their fault.
- Teach them to never keep secrets from you.
- Help them think of five adults they can trust.
- Talk to your child early and often.
Find more resources and information at sikhfamilycenter.org/csa/ including videos by parents and youth on body autonomy.